You’re 21st birthday is something you’ll either
A) always remember,
B) forget as early as the next morning,
C) or remember but want to forget as early as the next morning…
We can all silently say which answer we apply to ours, me included, but this isn’t about my 21st birthday. My best friend, Jill, turned 21 FINALLY the other week and I relived my own 21st birthday a little for the occasion. It’s possible I may have been more excited for the event then she was. I made it my mission to make sure she had a unforgettable/forgettable birthday. But honestly, it was more about the food then the going out and drinking.
Her mom made us a nice little dinner but I wanted to make dessert. It’s a 21st birthday, so obviously everything I made had to contain alcohol. So that’s what I did, I made cupcakes and jello shots and vodka gummy bears, it was very fun and delicious as well. So I’m going to share with you my ultimate 21st birthday dessert menu.
I did the baking with my other best friend, Alyssa and her Momma, we had a fun time.
1. Margarita Cupcakes. I tried to go with all of Jill’s favorite things, one being tequila. These were fun to make, the smell of the cupcakes alone were so good. The icing was insanely good. The only thing was you could tell there was a lot of butter used and maybe thats because my butter wasn’t exactly room temperature but hell who doesn’t like butter. I added more tequila than the recipe called for because well it was her 21st birthday.. So add the alcohol to your taste.
I added the sprinkles and lime zest as a garnish and a lime wedge to make it cute =)
2. Coffee Chocolate Bailey’s Irish Cream Cupcakes. These were interesting because the recipe was poorly written- not very detailed and I had no where to check my questions. For instance, the recipe called for coffee, not sure if that meant liquid coffee or coffee grounds. I used the liquid version because I assumed they would write grounds if that’s what they meant. Not exactly sure if I was right or not. It seemed fine in the icing but the cupcakes turned out more like brownies than cupcakes, which isn’t necessarily a bad things but the batter was very liquidy and I’m not sure if that was right. Again, I was very generous with the liquor in the icing, which was insanely good as well. I doubled both of the icing recipes because I didn’t think there would be enough but I had some left over, I think one batch is enough.
Note the “broken” one in the front that we just had to eat because it was “ruined”.
I added a chocolate chip for garnish but I wanted to add a coffee bean, just didn’t have one.
3. Strawberry Lemonade Jello Shots. If you’ve been following my blog for awhile it won’t surprise you that I made these again, they were such a hit the first time that I had to make them again.
4. Chocolate Covered Strawberry Jello Shots. These were so interesting to me I had to make them. I used the same jello recipe as the Strawberry Lemonade Shots but you can certainly do a different flavor or alter the recipe to how you normally make jello shots.
All you need to do is buy this, I bought it at Micheal’s Craft store, I think they were like $1.50, and melting chocolate which I also bought at Micheal’s. Melt the chocolate however you normally do, or follow the directions on the bag, pour into the molds and harden. The only thing is, I could only find a mold with different sized domes so if you wanted them to be all the same size, you have to buy a coupe molds or do several batches. I didn’t really care if they were different, plus it made some pretty big shots.
I waited a little longer than normal before pouring the jell into the molds so it wouldn’t melt them. Then let sit again in the fridge. They tasted so good. If you use cherry jello they would taste just like chocolate covered cherries.
5. And finally Vodka Gummy Bears. Very simple recipe. Put gummy bear in a GLASS bowl (very important), and pour vodka over them until all the gummy bears are submerged. This takes a couple days to infused so get started ahead of time. Wait until the vodka is gone or almost gone, taste and add more if needed. The bonus, you may get some gummy bear flavored vodka at the end too.
There were many other things I wanted to make, I just didn’t have the time. For instance I also wanted to make, Margarita Jello Shots in lime wedges, similar to the Strawberry Lemonade ones, Pumpkin Pie Jello Shots, and Mimosa Jello Shots (which I really did mean to make but never did). There are plenty of things I could have made but our plans for that weekend were thrown off because of Sandy and we had fun anyway.