I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays. I woke up this morning thinking “Damn I wish I had taken the day off”. The holidays always make me so exhausted. All the food and the constant traveling from this house to that house. Not to mention I revert to my childhood self on Christmas morning and I’m always the first up- 7:30 this year =/ But I’ll blame that on the fact that Christmas Day was a Tuesday and normally I would be up at 7 to get ready for work- I have a very smart internal alarm clock.
Being so busy at work these past couple weeks I didn’t have time to do any fancy cooking, although I did make these for our annual Santa party a few weeks ago.
They are supposed to be melted snowman, but nobody really got the melted part. I used icing instead of melting chocolate like the recipe said because I don’t like melting chocolate on cookies which may have been my mistake but oh well they’re pretty cute. I’ll probably never make them again. Between cutting the reese cup and picking out the orange sprinkles amongst the rainbow of them they were too time consuming. But in case you’re wondering I used:
One of those add eggs and water cookie mixes- Betty Croker maybe and added my left over reese cupsOrange sprinkles for the nose
Mini Chocolate chips for the eyes
The very mini reese cups and then the like bite sized ones (the bite sized ones I cut the bottom off so it was just the rim for the brim of the hat)
Cream cheese icing, but like I said you might want to use melting chocolate.
I didn’t cook for actual Christmas Eve/Day but my sister made some really good baked egg rolls that were filled with cheesesteak and buffalo chicken dip. Yum! Just go out and buy egg roll wrappers and put whatever you want in them
Speaking of Buffalo Chicken Dip, it’s always a hit, everyone loves it- even people who don’t love spicy food, love this dip. I think its the buffalo sauce, not sure but it never fails. So when I saw this recipe for Buffalo Cauliflower I decided to give it a try, ya know my health kick and all. Wow, was it good. Honestly, you’d never guess you were eating a vegetable. This will shock you and you probably won’t believe me until you try it but it literally tasted like I was eating a boneless buffalo chicken strip, not a vegetable. How? I have no idea- but I swear to you it did.
What you need:
- 1 head cauliflower (cut into bite-sized pieces)
For the batter:
- Dash of Frank’s Original Hot Sauce, or whatever kind you like
- ½ c. white rice flour (I couldn’t find rice flour and google told me if I was using it as a dredge it could be substituted for regular flour, so that’s up to you)
- ½ c. water
- Pinch salt
- For the Buffalo sauce:
- ¼ c. Frank’s Hot Sauce
- ¼ c. oil, canola oil works best
- Pinch salt
1. Preheat the oven to 450º and grease a baking sheet. Mix the batter ingredients together and toss small batches of the cauliflower pieces in the mixture until evenly coated. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the batter hardens.
2. Mix the sauce ingredients together while cauliflower is baking and give a final mix before using (the oil tends to separate). Once the cauliflower is done brush them with the sauce mixture flipping the cauliflower to evenly coat. Bake again for about 10 minutes until the cauliflower is crispy.
3. Enjoy with your favorite dip! I added a few more dashes of hot sauce over top the finished product for some more heat.
I made this as a side for dinner, but it can definitely work as an appetizer too.
Warning: its just as addicting as buffalo chicken dip, lucky for you its a little healthier =)