We have a seasonal party every season at my office and I’ve taken it upon myself to show up with the seasonal cupcake. Spring was the baseball cupcake and summer was a little more fancier…
*if you’re a regular follower, you’ll know I don’t try and perfect my masterpiece before I share it here, but I’ll include all the things I’ll do differently next time.
The Summer Burger Cupcake
What you need
- 1 box cake mix (unless you want to get all fancy on me and make them from scratch) Makes 24
- 1 box brownie mix (see line above)
- 1 can vanilla incing
- Red, Yellow and Green food dye or Red, Yellow and Green icing (separate colored icing don’t require the vanilla icing)
- Orangeish/Yellow crystal sprinkles or you can use actual sesame seeds.. I just find that weird
What to do
1. Bake the cupcakes and brownies according to package and let cool.
2. When the cupcakes are cooled, slice them in half- so you’re left with a top and bottom
3. When the brownies are cooled, use a small circular cookie cutter (or the top of a champagne glass if you’re like me and don’t have all types and shapes of cutters), cut out 24 circles in the brownies (should be close in diameter to the cupcakes.) Or you can also bake the brownies in a cupcake tin.
4. Take one cupcake set and spread a little bit of vanilla icing on the bottom half (this is just to keep it all together). Place a brownie circle on top.
5. I used a plastic baggie but if you have an icing piper, but all means use that. Start with the green icing. Put some icing in a plastic baggie and force it all down into one corner. Snip off the corner at an angle. For the green icing you want more of a thicker slit than a thin dot. Using the green icing run a wavy line around the rim of the brownie. So it looks like the wavy ends of lettuce.
6. Next comes the ketchup and mustard. Nobody is neat with their condiments, so don’t stress. My suggestion: do squiggle lines in one direction with the red and squiggle lines in the other direction with the yellow. Make sure they hang over the edges a little because you’re going to cover it with the top cupcake bun.
*I didn’t have yellow icing and the green icing was not incorporating with me so mine don’t look exactly like I’m explaining…
7. Place the top of the cupcake on top and repeat steps 4-7 on each cupcake.
8. The sprinkles/sesame seeds come next. My cupcakes turned out really moist so the tops were sticky and the sprinkles stuck very well. But don’t be afraid to brush the tops with a little water if you’re sprinkles fall right off.
I was in a rush to make these, so I’m ashamed to admit they aren’t that pretty, but its not hard to impress my coworkers. They were a hit.