Stumbled upon this article the other day that I found extremely interesting, it reminded me of a book that a teacher from art school suggested that I never actually got around to reading. The book was called “A Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist’s Personal Journey” by Jill Bolte Taylor. The book is JIll’s personal experience of having a stroke. The amazing part is that because she is a brain scientist she was able to analyze what was actually going on in her brain at the time and during recovery. My teacher suggested it because it’s a great way to understand how the brain works which can really help in designing. So after reading the article below the other day I may decide to make this purchase. I’ll let you know. The article I read was called:
9 Surprising Things About How Your Brain Works and here are some of the topics it covers:
- Your brain does creative work better when you’re tired.
- Stress can change the size of your brain (and make it smaller).
- It is literally impossible for our brains to multitask.
- Naps improve your brain’s day-to-day performance.
- Your vision trumps all other senses.
- Introversion and extroversion come from different wiring in the brain.
- We tend to like people who make mistakes more.
- Meditation can rewire your brain for the better.
- Exercise can reorganize the brain and boost your willpower.
Some of them may be obvious or you think you understand but the actual medical and technical reasoning behind it will surprise you. My favorite part that I found really interesting was the part of the wine tasters (little teaser..)