One thing I remember being taught in school is, its okay to steal. I’m talking art here, people. Of course, my teacher clarified that with steal to inspire your own work not steal to replicated exactly. All designers steal (that’s not an admission of guilt…), its just one thing we just choose not to admit to anyone outside the art community.
I found a list of the top 9 things designers do that they will never admit to..
1. Steal Stuff
As I mentioned above we all steal for inspiration but this talks more about physical objects, and I’ll admit, I’m totally guilty of this. I like to steal pencils/pens cool markers. If someone lets me borrow them, I sometimes just wait until they ask for it back, in which case they never do. The article states I’m not a criminal though, I’m just “good at gathering.”
2. Procrastinate for longer than is healthy
I didn’t realize I did this until I read the descriptions about organizing your Computer Arts by issue number.. Communications Arts..
4. Use fashionable design approaches rather than developing a new paradigm
5. Hate their own work
Yup, we all do.
6. Work in our jim-jams (pjs)
Yes, but admit it everyone really does this if they are working from home.
7. Buying a product for its packaging rather than what’s inside
Guilty. Actually, I’m not really ashamed to admit that one. I’m a sucker for packaging.
8. Add comments to signs, or scribble out misplaced apostrophes
9. Know the hexadecimal,RGB, CMYK or Pantone reference for colors
Yes, but only my company colors.
What do you do as a designer that you would never admit..?